Home   |   Crew Photos   |   Photo History   |   Stories   |   Nose Artists   |   Scrapbook   |   Memorials

 Dailies of the 322nd Squadron


Transcribed by Frank Farr

322nd  Squadron Daily Reports

Capt. Wm. R, Thompson

 14 April, 1942 91st Bombardment Group (H) was
 organized at Harding Field Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Lt.
 Edward R. Akert, Commanding, Lt. Frank S. Kamykowski,
 Engineering, Lt. William M. Cornell Lt. William H.
 Biggs, Chaplain and Lt. Ben T. Stogner.

 13 May, 1942 - 91st Bomb Group. (H) moved to Mac Dill
 Field, Tampa, Florida ; Lt. Col. Stanley T. Wray
 assumed command.
 15 May 1942 - 322nd Bombardment Squadron was
 organized:   Captain Victor B. Zienowicz, Commanding;
 Lt. William F. Genheimer, Acting Commanding Officer.
 25 May 1942 - Captain Victor B. Zienowicz reported
 and assumed command of    322nd Bomb Sq.  At that time
 squadron had three heavy bombardment type airplanes,
 B-17s; No. 41-2394 (Hangar Queen), No. 41-2577 and No.
 22 June 1942 - 322nd Squadron departed MacDill Field,
  Tampa , Florida .
 4 July 1942 Personnel of 322nd Squadron reported United
Army Air Base, Walla Walla , Washington  for
 16th Wing phase of training.
 1 August 1942 -    Entire personnel of 322nd Squadron
 departed Walla Walla and arrived United States Army
 Air Base, Pendleton , Oregon .  During training period
  there, with 2 and l/2 planes available, the squadron
 put in 530 hours flying time.
 16 August 1942 -322nd Squadron departed Pendleton
 Air Base; returned same day to Walla Walla Air Base.
 23 August 1942 -322nd Squadron received orders to
 pack for movement.
 24 August 1942 Air  echelon departed Walla Walla Air
 Base, arrived  Gowen Field, Boise, Idaho; ground
 echelon departed  Walla Walla Air Base by Train, Capt.
 Theodore R. Parker, Commanding.
 25 August 1942 - Ground echelon arrived in staging
 area at Fort Dix , New Jersey .   
 30 August 1942 - Air Echelon departed Gowen Field,
  Boise , Idaho ; arrived  U.S. Arm    Air Base, Selfridge
, Michigan
  322nd Squadron Dailies
                            Capt. William R. Thompson
 1 Sept. 1942 - Air Echelon departed Selfridge Field,
 Michigan; arrived  Dow Field, Bangor, Maine; ground
 echelon , under War Dept. orders, departed Fort Dix,
 New Jersey and boarded S.S. Queen Mary to serve as
 Gun crew aboard ship during passage to destination.
 5 Sept. 1942 - Ground echelon departed Port of New
 York City
and cleared Ambrose Lighthouse at 1615
 6 Sept. 1942 - Air echelon received delivery of nine
 new B-17F airplanes:   Nos. 41- 1942, 24453, 24439,
 24481, 24482, 24483, 24479, 24499, 24512 and 24545.
 11 Sept. 1942 - S.S. Queen Mary arrived Guroch, Firth
  of  Clyde , Scotland 0015 hours.
 12 Sept. 1942 -    Ground echelon disembarked S.S.
 Queen Mary and entrained.
 13 Sept. 1942 -    Ground echelon arrived Kimbolton Air
 Field, Hunts, England at 0430 hours.
 29 Sept. 1942 -    Air echelon departed Dow Field,
  Bangor , Maine arrived Gandor Lake Newfoundland .
 30 Sept. 1942 -    Air echelon departed Gandor Lake ,
at 2330 hours flying nine planes in three
 ship elements.
 1 Oct.1942 - Air echelon arrived at  Prestwick ,
at 0930 hours.
 2 Oct. 1942 - Air echelon departed Prestwick ,
  Scotland  and arrived  Kimbolton Air Field, Hunts,
  England at 1320 hours.
 14 Oct. 1942 - Entire squadron departed Kimbolton
 Air Field and arrived Bassingbourn Airfield,
  Cambridgeshire England .


 322nd Bomb Squadron
 Pendleton, Ore,
                            August 6, 1942
 Subject:  Interference by illegal radio stations
 To:  Intelligence Officer, 91st Bomb Group, Walla
 Walla, Wash.
    1. On August 4, 1942, reports from the radio
 operators of this squadron to the Squadron
 Communications Officer, Lt. Nelson, led him to suspect
 the presence of illegal radio stations in the vicinity
 of this Air Base.  Upon questioning he became
 convinced that some action must be taken by way of
 investigating the reports.
    2. Lt. Nelson immediately brought the matter to my
 attention, and to the attention of the Base Signal
 Officer, Lt. Guy, who informed him that the
 authorities at the Pendleton Air Base had been
 receiving signals from some radio station or stations
 which they believed might be operating in an illegal
 manner.  Lt. Guy informed us that these signals had
 been heard first during December, 1941, and at
 irregular intervals since that time.
    3.Upon receipt of this information I immediately
 visited the Intelligence Officer at the Pendleton Air
 Base in order to hear what if any steps had been taken
 to locate the owners of such stations.  He very kindly
 showed me such information that he had collected on
 the subject.  From this I learned that the
 Intelligence Section of the Pendleton Air Base had
 been in communication with the G-2 of the Second Air
 Force, the F.B.I., the F.C.C., and other agencies
 which should have been interested in this situation.
 It also developed that Major Dauncy (?), Adjutant of
 the Walla Walla Air Base had assisted in the
 investigations that had been carried on.  From all of
 this it appears that little real progress has been
 made in locating these people, due chiefly to the
 irregularity of their transmissions, and to the
 reluctance of the civilian bureaus toward sending
 their equipment out on a questionable case where it
 would probably be tied up for weeks or even longer
 without any assurance of finding these illegal station
 or stations.
    4. The Intelligence Officer of Pendleton Air Base
 requested that this squadron arrange to photograph
 certain suspected areas in this vicinity.  This has
 been accomplished, and the report of that mission is
 attached hereto, together with prints of the
 photographs taken.
    5. This Squadron then arranged for a second
 reconnaissance over this suspected area.  Lt. Nelson,
 who is an expert in this kind of work accompanied this
 mission, and reported that it was impossible to
 identify anything that looked like a probably radio
 transmitting station from the air.  However, he did
 notice that the “T” shaped house mentioned in the
 report of the photographic mission (hereto attached),
 with the white roof, might be considered as suspicious
 inasmuch as it did parallel the radio beam leading
 into the Pendleton Air Port.
    6.  Upon further investigation yesterday, Lt. Nelson
 and I further learned that at one time during the
 month of March, 1942, this station transmitted
 continuously for a period of about two hours. During
 this period the transmitting station appeared to be
 fulfilling the function  of  a radio guiding device,
 and was distinctly heard transmitting over and over
 the letters “WR” (?) and several times the letters
 “?-5”.  At this time Lt,. Guy made a determined
 effort to locate the station with some equipment
 which he had borrowed from civilian sources locally,
 but was not successful in doing so.
    7. During  the past 36 hours Lt. Nelson and I have
 interviewed individually  all the radio operators of
 this squadron.  Of the 18 men so interviewed,
 practically all of them stated that during the past
 month they have heard signals which could have been
 sent from another transmitting station.  Many of them
 stated that it was their opinion that at times (at
 least) these signals seemed to be sent out with the
 intention of “jamming” the stations of the 91st Bomb
 Group.  Several of these men also stated that they had
 heard voice transmission on their assigned
 wave-lengths, and wondered at the time who had been
 given authority to transmit in voice on the
 wave-lengths assigned to them.
    8. We are attaching hereto brief statements as made
 by several of the radio operators of this squadron.
 These are self-explanatory.
    9. All radio operators of this squadron have been
 ordered to listen in at the wave- lengths on which
 these strange signals have been heard at all times,
 and to report to me all such information as they are
 able to gather if they are heard again.  Such reports
 will be forwarded to your office as soon as reported.
    10. After this had been accomplished I learned that
 on July 3, a conversation between two stations
 (presumable illegal) had been picked up at the
 Pendleton Air Base.  As the operators of these
 stations agreed to meet each other in the town of
 Pendleton some few hours after the conversation took
 place, we may assume that these people are located and
 operating at points within a radius of 50 to 75 miles
 of this Air Base.  A report of this conversation is on
 file in the office of the Intelligence Officer,
 Pendleton Air Base.
    11. When this information had been collated, Lt.
 Nelson applied to the base Signal Officer for any
 equipment which he might use as direction-finding
 devices, but was advised that no such equipment was
 available.  Lt. Nelson and I then decided to try to
 manufacture some makeshift devices by which we will be
 able to identify the directions from which these
 signals are coming.  We hope to have these
 arrangements in operation within a day or two, and
 when ready a continuous watch will be maintained in an
 effort to secure further information concerning those
 supposed illegal stations.  Any information secured in
 this manner will be forwarded to your office
 immediately upon receipt.
    12. Upon reviewing all the evidence we have been able
 to collect, we have also found that the period during
 which these illegal stations were most active
 coincided with the period during which two other
 conditions existed:  five B-17 planes were lost in
 this vicinity, and much of the submarine activity off
 the Pacific Coast.  This may be purely accidental.
    13.  For the protection of the airplanes of this
 squadron, the following orders have been given to all
 radio operators.
            a. That they are not to transmit to any radio
 station until that station has authenticated codes set up by the Second Air
 Force Headquarters at Spokane.
            b. That no pilot shall under any conditions fly any radio beam
under  actual “instrument conditions”, but will rely upon his other
instruments, and at all times shall be extremely careful when flying in 
                                    this part of the states of Oregon and Washington.
We are of the opinion that these measures should tend to negate any
possible harmful intentions, if the above referred-to radio stations are actually
being operated by enemy aliens.
                        For the Squadron Commander
                        Theodore R. Parker
                        Capt., A.A.F.,
                        S-2 322 Bomb Squadron
 322 Bomb Squadron
 Pendleton, Ore.
                            August 7, 1942
 Special Photographic Mission, August 6, 1942.
 Briefing Notes:
 1. Upon receipt of certain information concerning
 radio interference, received from the Base
 Signal Officer, Pendleton Air Force Base, and
 reported by Lt. Nelson, Squadron
     Communications Officer, a special photographic
 mission was dispatched to photograph the
 area from which the interference was supposed to
 2. Base signal unit furnished information that
 additional pictures of the vicinity of Holdman be
 taken, and the base photographic unit furnished
 the detail and equipment.
 3. Pilots were instructed to fly up the valley in
 which this town is located, to reappear from
 another direction not sooner than thirty minutes
 later, and to fly across the town again about
 45 minutes thereafter.  This was intended to
 divert suspicion.
 4. The photographers were instructed to take a
 complete “photo-strip” of the vicinity of the town
 during each flight.
 5. The pilots were instructed to hold a straight and
 level course during each flight at an indicated
 altitude of 8000 feet, or somewhat lower if overcast or
 clouds might interfere with the object of taking
 6. All members of the combat crew were instructed to
 make minute observations of everything in and about
 the town during the  three runs over the town and
 surrounding territory.
 7. The photographic unit was ordered to complete
 processing of their pictures as soon as possible, and
 return three prints of each to this headquarters as
 soon as finished.
 8. All members of the flight were ordered to report
 individually to this headquarters for interrogation
 upon completion of the flight.
 9. All members of the flight were ordered to maintain
 strict silence and secrecy concerning the nature of
 this mission.
 10. Maps, photos, and other available information were
 given to the pilots and photographers just before the
 mission took off.
 Theodore R. Parker, Capt.
 322 Squadron
 Pendleton, Ore.
                            August 7, 1942
 Special Photographic Mission, August 6, 1942
 Interrogation Notes (condensed):.
 1. The mission took off at 0925, and flew directly
 over the town of Holdman as ordered, taking its first
 photo-strip during this run.
 2. They then flew to the north-east and returned
 thirty-five minutes later and took a second
 Photo-strip coming in from that direction.
 3. They then flew in from a westwardly direction fifty
 minutes later and took their third photo-strip.
 4. During these three flights, the following was
    a. The town appeared to be practically deserted, very
 little signs of activity were observed.
    b. Three or four people were observed, apparently
 standing and looking up at the plane during its third
 flight over the town.
    c. The navigator and one member of the combat crew
 thought they saw what might have been an antenna
 stretched along the roof of one of the houses.
    d. All remarked upon a peculiarly shaped house, built
 in the shape of a “T”.  The roof of this house was
 painted a new white, whereas, most of the other roofs
 in the town were either unpainted or red in color.
    e. Upon investigating the long wing of this
 white-roofed house was found to point directly
 parallel to the beam of the Pendleton Airport.
    f. A very small landing field, or a place where very
 light planes could land, was observed just to the east
 of the center of the town.
 5. As a result of this information, another
 photographic mission will be dispatched to
 re-photograph the valley at a much lower altitude
 within a few days.  Also, it is our intention to make
 a visual reconnaissance of this place at a very low
 altitude during the next 24 hours, making use of one
 of the LO5 planes now here.
 Theodore R. Parker, Capt.

322nd Daily Reports, November, 1942
 Ed. Note:   Occasionally a word or words or a line or
 lines are illegible as taken off the Microfilm.  Where
 I am able to interpolate intelligently, I try to fill
 in that material.  Where I am in doubt you may see a
 question mark (?).  If entire passages are missing, I
 will simply say “___lines unintelligible.”  Mostly I
 think the sense of the material will come through in
 good shape. – Frank F.
 7 Nov. 1942 Squadron went on its first
 ,,,(?)…mission.  Target was the docks …(?)…at Brest ,
.  The following ships went on raid:
 Ship 4499                         
Major Zienowicz            
Lt. Baxley             
Lt. Hampy (?)                          
Lt. Wechsler
Lt. Hubbard
Sgt. Hall                      
Sgt. Goldstein
Sgt. Steffens                        
Sgt. Tamsett (?)
Sgt. Hudjera (?)               
  Ship 4482
Lt. Bader
Lt. Humphries
Lt. Adkins
Lt. Hensley
Sgt. Pieph (?)
Sgt. Gray
Sgt. Kesslerwad
Sgt. Olaque
Sgt. Hansbury
Sgt. Buzisz
Ship 4479                      
Lt. McCormick              
Lt. Preibe
Lt. Clinton
Lt. Frazier
Sgt. Pidgeon
Sgt. Anderson
Sgt. Ryder
Sgt. Janor                 
Sgt. Graddy
Sgt. Hamrick           
Ship 4545
Lt. Beasley
Lt. Green
Lt. Bocock
Lt. Hawkins
Sgt. Barreh
Sgt. Hale
Sgt. Lammers
Sgt. Richardson
Sgt. Ehrhardt
Sgt. Perry (323rd) (Steve Perri)
    Sgt. Graddy and Sgt. Hansbury received credit for
 shooting down a FW 190.
       Ships 4481, 4453 and 4483 turned back due to gun
 9 Nov. 1942    Squadron left on second mission.  Target
 was locks at St. Nazaire France .
  The following ships took part:
    Ship 4481                                
 Major Zienowicz                       
 Lt. Baird                     
 Lt. Moss (323)
 Lt. Bullock                       
 Lt. Bryant                    
 Sgt. Mika                     
 Sgt. Harger                       
 Sgt. Kiss                     
 Sgt. Bucholz                  
 Sgt. Harrison

   Ship 4483
 Lt. Felton
 Lt. Kious
 Lt. Cochran
 Lt. Hylton
 Sgt. Traverso
 Sgt. Griffin
 Sgt. Welch
 Sgt. Paul
 Sgt. Burnett
 Sgt. Larson
    Ship 4545
 Lt. Beasley
 Lt. Green                     
 Lt. Bowcock                       
 Lt. Santoro                       
 S/Sgt. Ehrhardt
 Sgt. Barrett
 Sgt. Hale
 Sgt. Lammers
 Sgt. Richardson
 Sgt. Quarles                          
    Lt. Cochran, Lt. Bowcock, Sgt. Burnett and Sgt.
 Richardson were wounded, also Lt. Bryant.
 14 Nov. 1942   Target St. Nazaire , France sub pens and
 installations.  Bomb loading 2 x 2000#.  Take off
 1045, landed at Davidson 1630.
        Ship 4499 – Capt. Gillespie
        Ship 4512 – Lt. Wallick
        Ship 4479 – Lt. McCormick
        Ship 4453 – Lt. Hardin
        Height – 19,000 ft.
        Weather clear over target. 
        Target attacked successfully.

 17 Nov. 1942 – Target for this mission was St.
 Nazaire.  Group furnished 20 A/C of which 6 were
 abortive.  The squadron started 3 A/C of which two
 went over the target –
        #4545, 1st Lt. Beasley and #4481, 1st Lt. Baird.
 Target was bombed successfully, each ship attacking at
 20,000 ft. with bomb load of 10 x 500 HE.  After
 leaving target, 20 – 30 E/A fighters attacked of which
 5 were destroyed, 2 possibles and eight damaged.
 S/Sgt Ehrhardt of 545, tail gunner, was credited with
 one FW 190 destroyed.  Both ships returned, no
 18 Nov. 1942 – Target was submarine pens at La
  Pallice , France .  Bomb load 10 x 500 GP.
 Altitude 18000 feet, group took off 17 A/C of which
 11 were abortive.  Squadron furnished 6 ships of which
 4 attacked target at 1255 hours.  Group was led by
 Major Victor S. Zienowicz.  Several enemy A/A
 batteries were destroyed and target was hit.  No E/A
 attacked.  Squadron ships over target were 4499 Major
 Zienowicz – 4453, 1st Lt. John T. Hardin – 4479 1st
 Lt. Thomas B. McCormick – 4512, 1st Lt. Bruce D.
 Barton.  On return, just over English coast, Major
 Zienowicz and Lt. Hardin collided in mid-air in cloud,
  Lt. Hardin made forced Landing at Vocvii (??) Maj.
 Zienowicz landed at Turweston.  The later ship was
 salvaged.  Other ships returned to base.  No
 22 Nov. 1942 – Group assigned 18 ships to attack
  Lorient , France , sub pens.  Flight commanded by Major
 P. D. Brown of 323rd.  Bomb load was 2 x 2000 lb. B
 M5s  (?) and altitude was 19,000 ft.  322nd sent 4 A/C,
 4482, Major Zienowisz 4512, Captain Kenneth K. Wallick
 (?) – 4?81 ast Lt. James D. Baird and 4439, 1st Lt.
 Bruce Barton.  Owing to 10/10 cloud cover, target was
 not attacked.  Maj. Zienowicz and Captain Wallick
 returned to base, Lt’s Baird and Barton landed at
 Westcott.  All safe, no casualties.
 23 Nov. – Of ten ships assigned by group to attack
  St. Nazaire , France submarine pens, only 5 went over
 target at 19000 ft. under command of Major Harold C.
 Smelzer of 324th.  Two of three from squadron got over target.
 4479, Major Zienowicz – 4512, Captain Kenneth K.
 Wallick.  Due to cloud conditions, the target was not
 attacked.  At a point 55 miles inside France 1st Lt.
 McCarty and Major Zienowicz were at some distance from
 the other four ships, Major Smelzer, Capt. Wallick and
 Lts. Cliburn 324 and Corman 324.  Lt. McCarty returned
 from that point to base.
        No further report has been received of Major
 Zienowicz and he and his crew reported missing in
 action.  The other four, some ten miles off the target
 were attacked by from 20-40 E/A and turned out to sea.
  In a running fight, an undetermined number of E/A
 were shot down and several casualties in our A/C
 were suffered.  Captain Wallick safely landed his ship
 at Chivenor, with his tail gunner S/Sgt. John J.
 Hudjera suffering a fracture of his leg.  Lt. Corman
 crash landed at Watford, England, five of his crew
 were killed.  Major Smelzer was last seen at a point
 20 miles west of Brest , France by Lt. Corman.
 Following is a list of the crew 4479:
        Pilot – Major Victor S. Zienowicz, copilot Captain
 Thomas B. McCormick, Navigator Capt. Herbert W. Hampy,
 Navig. 2nd Lt. Ralph L. Clinton, Bomb. 2nd Lt. Ross
 E. Frazier,  Gun Lt. Arthur S. Applebaum, Eng T/S
 Doyce F. Hamrick, A.E Ssgt. Joseph G. Janor, Rad T/S
 Geo.A. Anderson, A/R S/S Wordon J.
 Ryder, Tail Gunner S/S William C. Grady
 24 Nov. 1942 – Capt. Paul L. Fishburne reported and
 assumed charge of 322nd as acting Squadron Commander.
 25 Nov. 1942 – The report of Capt. Wallick and his
 crew of the fight of the Nov. 23 raid was received and
 that ship is credited with the destruction of four FW
 190’s, enemy aircraft and one damaged.  Following are
 the members credited with E/A.
    S/Sgt. John J. Hudjera T.G. destroyed FW 190.
    S/Sgt. Jarvis E. Hall T.T.G. destroyed FW 190.
    Sgt. Frank S. Tamsett W.G. destroyed FW 190.
    S/Sgt. Daniel  (NMI) Goldstein R.G. destroyed FW
    Sgt. Delbert G. Steffens W.G. FW190 damaged.
    This flight occurred from San Jachim (?) France to
 over the Atlantic Coast .  It is believed this
 establishes record for E/A losses to a single crew in
 one fight.

 322nd Daily Reports
 Ed. Note:   Occasionally a word or words or a line or
 lines are illegible as taken off the
 Microfilm.  Where I am able to interpolate
 intelligently, I try to fill in that material.  Where
 I am in doubt you may see a question mark (?).  If
 entire passages are missing, I will simply say
 “___lines unintelligible.”  Mostly I think the sense
 of the material will come through in good shape. –
 Frank F.
    6 Dec. 19, 1942 - The target for today was the
locomotive carriage works at Lille, France.  The bomb
 load was 10 x 500 G.P. bombs, the take off at 1020,
 over target at  1210 and landing at 1329 hours. The
 group sent 22 A/C of which 18 went over
 target.  322nd Squadron had 4 of these - 453, Lt. John
 T. Hardin, 481, Capt. Paul L. Fishburne, 483, Lt.
 Ralph A. Felton and 545, Lt. Wm. D. Easley.  Fighters,
 FW 190s were engaged 10 miles west of target on way
 in, S/Sgt. Bradin C. Griffin was credited with the
 destruction of one of them.  The group got five
 destroyed and two damaged as their bag for the day.
 The weather over target was good and bomb results were
 fair.  There were quite a few short.  All of our ships
 as well as all of the group returned safely.  No
 casualties in squadron.
    12 Dec., 1942 - Target was Romilly-sur-Seine air
 depot, last resort was Rouens marshalling yards.
 Nineteen A/C took off 1020, rendezvous at Beachyhead
 at 1125 hours, with 303, 305 and 306 groups.  Seventy
 eight planes attacked Rouens marshalling yards.
 Results were poor.  Two B17’s were lost to E/A, B17’s
 destroyed 19, probable 10, damaged two.  Six of 91st
 attacked target--two from 322nd, Capt. Paul L.
 Fishburne in 545 and Capt. Robert B. Campbell in 483.
 91st Group was credited with 3 E/A destroyed and one
 probable.  All ships returned, no casualties in
 squadron.  Formations was poor.
    13 Dec. 1942 - The following members of the squadron
 received the award of the Purple Heart on Dec. 7,
    Lt. Robert H. Bowcock
    Lt. Norman Bryant
    Lt. Linden W. Cochran
    S/Sgt. Carson L.  Richardson
    S/Sgt. Andrew N. Burnet
    20 Dec. 1942 - Target for 1st Wing Groups, 306, 91st,
 303rd, 305th was the airport at Romilly-sur-Seine, 80
 miles, south east of Paris .  Group furnished 17 A/C
 with 10 x 500 bombs, of which 322nd had four, Capt.
 Kenneth K. Wallick 512, Lt. Bruce D. Barton, 439, Lt.
 James D. Baird 483 and Lt. Don C. Bader, 545.  Take
 off was at 1005 hours and return was 1433.  Fighters
 were encountered 30 miles from coast and E/A attacked
 from there to target and back to coast.  Group lost
 two A/C, Lt’s English and Corson of 401st near Paris .
 Both were at end of formation and were lost to E/A.
 Capt. Wallick had his #3 engine hit, put on fire and
 was forced to leave flight on account of reduced
 speed.  He was followed and covered by Lts. Baird and
 Barton.  Barton’s ship was hit several times - he
 crash landed 30 miles southeast of London .  Other
 squadron A/C returned safely, Capt. Wallick losing his
 #3 propeller and cowl on landing at base.  Lt. Paul C.
 Burnett and Pvt. Forrest E. Wise were injured, not
 seriously.  The group got 19 E/A destroyed, 3 probably
 destroyed, and one damaged.  Following are the ships
 bagged by squadron gunners:
    Capt. Kenneth K. Wallicks crew #512 - Lt. John G.
 Hawkins, bombardier, destroyed FW190 - Sgt. Delbert
 Steffens, tail gunner, destroyed FW190 - T/Sgt. Harvis
 E. Hall, top turret, destroyed FW190 - Sgt. Vito
 Pugliese, waist gunner, destroyed FW190 - T/Sgt.
 Daniel Goldstein, radio gunner, destroyed FW190.
    Lt. James D. Baird’s crew #482 - T/Sgt. Henry E.
 Mika, ball gunner, probable FW190 - S/Sgt. Martin A.
 Bucholz, tail gunner, destroyed FW190.
    Lt. Don C. Bader’s crew #545 - Sgt. Walter C.
 Bedzisz, ball gunner, destroyed FW190 - T/Sgt. Ernest
 L. Pieples, waist gunner, destroyed FW190.
    Lt. Bruce D. Barton’s crew - Lt. Stephen H. Lindley,
 bombardier, destroyed FW190 - S/Sgt. John H. Mitchell,
 waist gunner, destroyed FW190 - T/Sgt. R. L. Hare, top
 gunner, destroyed 2 FW190 - Sgt. Lester B. Snook,
 waist gunner, destroyed FW190 - S/Sgt. Myron (?) C.
 Sasen (?), ball gunner, destroyed FW190.
 Score for entire USAAF raid: Lost  (?) B17E’s,
 destroyed 50 FW 190’s, of these 91st Group got 25 (?)
 FW190s and 322nd Squadron got 14 FW190s and one
 probably destroyed.
    30 Dec. 1942 - Target for today was Lorient , France .
 An effort was to be made to knock out the submarine
 pens.  1st Wing sent four groups - 91st, 303rd, 305th,
 and 306th.
      The latter turned back.  The 91st dispatched 19
 ships of which 17 attacked the target with 2 x 2000
 G.P. bombs.  The 322nd sent three ships - #481, Capt.
 Campbell, #453, Lt. Hardin, 482, Lt. Bader.  All of
 squadron returned safely without casualties.  The
 group lost Lt. Bloodgood and his crew, shot down by
 FW190s near Brest .  The group lost one of its best
 officers when Maj. Edw. Pl Myers, commander of 401st
 Squadron, flying in #077 with Capt. Oscar O’Neil was
 hit by 20 mm shell and died from loss of blood.  Capt.
 Joseph Jurovich of 323rd Squadron flying #523 was very
 badly wounded and his ship was brought back by Lt.
 Shaw, his co-pilot, and, himself, had been hit and his
 left arm broken.  The group bagged 20 E/A destroyed
 and 3 probables.  Of these the squadron got one
 destroyed and one probable:  #482-S/Sgt. Thos. J.
 Hansbury-T.G. one FW190 probable - #481-2nd Lt. James
 R. Bullock-Nav., one ME109 destroyed.  The bombing
 results were good.